Rainforest Foundation Norway (RFN) is one of the world's leading organisations in the field of rights-based rainforest protection. We collaborate closely with indigenous and environmental organizations in Central Africa, the Amazon, Southeast Asia and Oceania. We also conduct advocacy work and campaigns both in Norway and internationally.
The rainforest is amazing. More than half of terrestrial plant life and animal species live here. It is home to, and provides livelihoods for, millions of people. It stores enormous amounts of carbon, and performs vital ecosystem services for all of us. Still, rainforests around the world are under attack and disappear at an alarming rate.
Rainforest Foundation Norway is looking for a person who wants to be a part of our important work to stop deforestation. We want to strengthen our efforts internationally, especially related to biofuels that contribute to increased deforestation (like palm oil-based fuels). We have a vacancy for a full-time, permanent position that will be an essential part of this work. The position is a part of our Drivers of deforestation program, a team of seven people.
Biofuels can be important for cutting emissions from the transport sector. Unfortunately, there has been strong growth in the use of palm oil-based fuels, both in Norway and internationally. Palm oil-based fuels lead to even higher greenhouse gas emissions than fossil diesel, in addition to driving deforestation. RFN has established itself as an important player in Norway and internationally to prevent biofuels from contributing to deforestation and we want to strengthen our competencies in this field. The focus will be on the EU and selected EU countries, the aviation industry, as well as other emerging markets for biofuels, such as Indonesia. We are looking for a capable and qualified person to strengthen our work in this area.
We are looking for a someone systematic and efficient who can work independently and is a natural team player .
Your main tasks will be
- Be a central team member in RFN's work on biofuels, focused on international target groups (EU institutions, selected EU countries and the aviation industry, etc.)
- Analyze developments in the biofuel market, document and expose how selected types of biofuels (like palm oil) and industry actors contribute to deforestation
- Advise on improved solutions to public and private sector decision makers.
- Contact with selected partners and collaborators of RFN, internationally and in producer countries such as Indonesia
- Contribute to other tasks covered by the zero deforestation team
Qualifications we are looking for:
- You must be persuasive and exact, and be able to communicate complex subject matters to a multitude of different actors, such as decision makers (politicians, private sector and bureaucrats), media and civil society organisations.
- Have an overview and good insight into the biofuel conversation and/or causes of rainforest deforestation.
- Fluent in English, written and oral is a prerequisite. Other relevant languages are Spanish, German, French and Bahasa Indonesia. The working language of RFN is Norwegian, so you will need basic skills in Norwegian and/or be willing to learn.
- You should be self-motivated and -driven, and have experience from advocacy work, preferably internationally.
- Knowledge of the rainforest issues in Southeast Asia / Indonesia is an advantage
- You must be willing to travel extensively.
Personal suitability and qualifications are essential. Do not hesitate to apply, even if you do not have all the desired qualifications.
- An exciting opportunity to be a part of RFN's international advocacy work
- An interesting and meaningful job
- Friendly colleagues and an office environment characterized by diversity, generosity and humour
- Good pension and insurance schemes, flexible working hours and offices in downtown Oslo
The position is a permanent, full-time position. Salary in accordance with RFN's wage scheme.
Application deadline: 10th January 2019. Appointment as soon as possible.
Applications with resume should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org , and marked with "adviser biofuels"
Do you have questions related to the position: contact team manager Nils Hermann Ranum, tel. + 47 99 00 10 32