Consultancy on IPLC rights and carbon markets
Rainforest Foundation Norway is seeking a consultant to support the work on carbon markets and the rights of Indigenous Peoples and local communities (IPLCs).
We are conducting a project together with Rainforest Foundation US and partners in Brazil, Peru and Colombia to support Indigenous Peoples and Local Communities (IPLCs) involvement in jurisdictional REDD+ processes and outcomes, and to support their capacity to respond to the development of global voluntary carbon markets and their impact on the rights of IPLCs.
The consultant would preferably be located in the Americas, but other locations can be considered. The consultant should be fluent in Spanish and/or Portuguese, as well as English.
Application deadline: February 10, 2023.
- Support national and global partner organizations of RFN involved in the project
- Develop and/or support the development of educational material, mappings, analysis, and discussion papers to advance strategic discussions with national and global Indigenous and local community organizations on carbon markets and IPLC rights.
- Prepare, conduct, or support workshops and meetings with national and global Indigenous and local community organizations to advance the work on carbon markets and IPLC rights
- Support knowledge building and analysis of the practical implications of different jurisdictional REDD+ standards, including LEAF and ART-TREES, and support the articulation of relevant political positions for how these standards should be met within their jurisdiction(s).
- Supporting the participation of national Indigenous and local community organizations in Peru, Colombia and Brazil in processes related to the development of REDD+ strategies and programs, including LEAF and ART-TREES, and benefit-sharing arrangements at national or subnational levels
- Help leverage other technical, political and legal resources in support of the project’s objectives
Necessary competencies and skills:
- In-depth understanding of REDD+, voluntary carbon markets and carbon standards and safeguards, including ART-TREES. A certain level of understanding of Monitoring, Reporting and Verification (MRV) issues is needed.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, orally and in writing, in an accessible and understandable way about voluntary carbon markets, carbon standards and safeguards, jurisdictional REDD+ and IPLC rights
- Good knowledge of Indigenous peoples and local communities’ rights
- Demonstrated ability to gather and analyze data for advocacy purposes
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage relations
- Language skills: Full fluency in English is required. Highly preferable that the consultant is fluent in Spanish and/or Portuguese
- Respectful, trustworthy, and credible
- Ability to act as a representative for RFN
- Willing and able to travel, primarily in Latin America
Other relevant information:
- The consultancy is expected to be a full-time position, but other solutions can be discussed.
- The consultancy will start as soon as possible and last until June 2024.
- Questions and applications/expressions of interest can be submitted to the Acting Team Leader for Policy, Torbjørn Gjefsen at firstname.lastname@example.org or (+47) 970 16 842.