The destruction of the world’s rainforests is one of our time’s biggest environmental disasters. Every year an area of 130 000 km2 of tropical forest disappears. Rainforest Foundation Norway is one of Europe’s leading organisations in the work to protect the world’s rainforests and strengthen the rights of indigenous peoples, in cooperation with local and environmental organisations in Southeast Asia, Central Africa and the Amazon.
Rainforest Foundation Norway is a non-governmental organisation working in 11 rainforest countries, together with more than 70 local partners. We are looking for a Programme Coordinator on Drivers of Deforestation for our recently opened Country Office in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). For more information about our work: https://www.regnskog.no/en/
Based in Kinshasa and operating under the delegated authority of the RFN Country Director, the Programme Coordinator will be responsible for the development and the monitoring of RFN’s program on commercial drivers of deforestation, in collaboration with our Congolese partners.
He/she will interact with RFN’s Congolese partner organisations responsible for projects monitoring both agricultural and forest concessions, and will assist them in strategic planning, project management and organisational strengthening. The Programme Coordinator is responsible for developing and harmonising RFN’s strategic approach in DRC, in coordination with relevant stakeholders including Congolese and international civil society organisations, donors and Congolese authorities. The Programme Coordinator is expected to represent RFN in Congolese and international forums, and will interact regularly with the RFN staff in Oslo to ensure the harmonisation and effectivity of our approach.
- Provide strategic advice and technical assistance to RFN’s Congolese civil society partners monitoring the drivers of deforestations in DRC.
- Support RFN’s Congolese civil society partners in their organizational development, including project management, financial management, democratic governance and risk managements.
- Take the lead role in developing and executing RFN’s strategic approach to support the monitoring of drivers of deforestation in DRC and support our partners’ advocacy work.
- Ensure that the RFN Kinshasa office has advanced technical expertise and excellent competencies in issues pertaining to drivers of deforestation, including providing training to other staff, develop technical partnerships in order to acquire and coordinate existing tools for monitoring drivers of deforestation.
- Contribute to the development of funding applications for new projects/programmes and reports to donors
- Contribute to the development of RFN's strategic thinking and prioritization of partners, projects and activities within the programme.
- You have a Master’s degree in a relevant academic field, notably agronomy, advocacy work, law, monitoring and technology or other. Significant working experience might compensate for lack of diploma
- You have a background in project management, including experience from organisational development and financial management
- You have good written and verbal skills in French and Lingala/Swahili. English will be a strong asset
- You are proactive, detail oriented and diplomat. You can communicate and function in an organizational environment involving a diversity of cultures and languages.
- You are an excellent communicator, able to represent the organisation with civil society stakeholders as well as international firms representatives to ensure dialogue
- You are eager to contribute to protecting DRC’s rainforests and the rights of forest dependent peoples. You are committed to RFN’s mission and values.
RFN’s is proud to offer a dynamic workplace. You will have a huge potential to increase your knowledge on our mission and practises and will be autonomous in your work.
The programme coordinator will be offered an attractive national contract.
How to apply
Applications should entail a CV – including contact of at least 3 references – as well as a cover letter.
Applications should be exclusively submitted by email to RecruitmentDRC@rainforest.no
Hard copy will not be accepted.
Object of email should state “Drivers of Deforestation Programme Coordinator”
Indigenous people and/or female applicants are highly encouraged to apply
Closing date for applications: 15th of February
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the interviews.